Tuesday, April 21, 2009

and it begins...


This is NOT a blog about hunting and killing frogs. FAR from it. I love the amphibs! So why would I call this blog The Great Frog Hunt? Let me explain...

Where I come from there were only a handful of things to do as a kid. When your closest neighbor is a mile away and just happens to be your cousin, you find creative things to do. We had four basic activities we used to entertain ourselves...
- ride our bikes over miles and miles of gravel road
- play Ghost Kickball, complete with two full teams of Ghost players
- have a rousing game of Blind Man's Bluff
- or go Toad Hunting
many many times we did the latter.

Toad Hunting is easy, you just bend over, pick the thing up and wait for it to pee on you. Simple. But the sophisticated art of
Frog Hunting is a whole other story. It takes stealth, cunning and cat-like reactionary & stalking abilities. You're locked on your target, you wait for your moment, and when the adrenalin kicks in- you LUNGE for that big green slippery sucker! But he's on to you, he gracefully pirouettes through your hands and gives you the finger, "argh! almost had it!" And that's how it goes with hunting frogs.

But sometimes, every once in a while, you catch one! (and let it go, of course) As you do it more and more, you catch more and more. That's what this blog is about, metaphorically speaking I guess.
Hunting frogs is like trying to be an actor. Every audition is a frog waiting to be caught or slip through your fingers. This blog is to be a documentation of the trials and errors, the hits and the misses, the frogs that I've caught and the ones that got away, as I navigate through this business. Ultimately, I want to share my personal experiences trying to make acting my full time job.

So lets jump into it (pun intended)

April 21st, 2009
  1. I need to finish memorizing a script for an In-House Training Industrial which I will be working over the next 3 days. All days I have to be on set in New Jersey by 4 am. (yes, am, that's not a typo) Thankfully, the production company has arranged for a car to pick me at 2:20 am. Which means, I need to try to be in bed and asleep by 8:00 pm.
  2. With an audition scheduled directly after tomorrows shoot, I need to print out and go over my sides to be prepared.
  3. Throughout today I will continue to submit through my favorite casting sites, NYCastings.com and ActorsAccess.com as well as read archived articles by Casting Director and Author, Bonnie Gillespie (I can't link the articles, you need to have a subscription to actorsaccess, but I have linked her website)
So come back in a week or so, I'll let you know how the Industrial went, auditions had, tips gathered, photos & links to past work, as well as any recently caught FROGS. Thanks for reading!

have you kissed a
frog today?


No comments:

Post a Comment